Thursday, January 6, 2011

From Couch to 5K

Hebrews 12:1-2
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

In the last few weeks I have found a new love. A love that actually still surprises me on a daily basis. I have NEVER been a runner. When I was younger and we had to run laps I would cringe. I think the reason I did not learn to appreciate running until the last few months was because I didn't full grasp the beauty of it.

When I run I can just have time to myself. I find myself losing track of time, laps, and even where I am as just relax and run around the track. I think another one of my favorite parts of running on the track is having a "bird's eye view" of the rest of the gym. I would have "creeped" a picture of that view too but I just felt weird taking pictures at the gym. I just enjoy watching people as they play basketball or play soccer. There is always something to watch. I also when I get to see my church friends at the track, which almost never fails. Seeing them is always a delight.  But that blessing will be a subject of another blog! 

One of my big goals for 2011 is to run my first 5k. I also hope to run a relay in the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon. I would have never thought I would be doing this last year. Again, remember my past hatred for running. I am so excited about this adventure. Sadly, I feel like I'm jumping on the band wagon. Because, I'm only running a 5k because everyone else is doing it! But I am so glad to be a part of "Team 5k" and am looking forward to spending Channing's birthday running this race together! So thanks to my friends who decided to run this 5k. I'm glad by copying you I have found a new love and what's better than loving something that's also exercise!

1 comment:

  1. "Run as if you were feet were to fall off tomorrow."- Mahatmoud Ghandi

    "When I run I sweat like the sun has just crashed into the earth."- Mother Teresa

    "Running gives me blisters, they are fun to play with."- Teddy Rosevelt

    "Have you ever felt like your lungs were frozen? Try to run in the North Pole."- Santa Claus

    "When I run I feel as if I am miserable; after I run I still feel miserable."- Thomas Jefferson

    "Run to live; live to run"- Jerry Falwell

    "I run a lot...to fast food."- Bill Clinton

    ReplyDelete