Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Book Review: The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games trilogy
This was probably my favorite book(s) that I've read in quite a while. Talk about being left on the edge of your seat. Whew, I could NOT put these books down. I really wasn't sure if I would like these books. They are "science fiction" which is normally not my fave. Bravo Suzanne Collins, incredible read. I cannot wait for the movies to come out. There are three books in this series, hence "trilogy".  I would say the first two books are my favorite of the three. The third is a little different paced and also the tone of the book has changed a bit from the first two. - Still a good read and you obviously can't just skip the last. You would be so depressed. They are set in a "post-apocalyptic" time period that is sometime in the future. I am just going to give a brief "need to know" synopsis to give you a taste but cannot say too much because I know I will ruin something for you. This book is so incredibly unpredictable. I think that is why I loved it so much. There were times when I would literally gasp because I was surprised by something. How often does a book make you do that. Pick these books up today.  I'm sure this little synopsis makes it sound very violent and dark but I promise it is creepy or anything. I guess it can be a bit dark but just remember it has to end good, right?..Maybe?
      
The Hunger Games are an annual spectacle in which a group of children are forced by the government to fight one another to the death on TV.  It is obvious that something has gone terrible wrong with humanity. The world is being ruled by a ruling city called the Capitol, which a luxurious place with fascinating people. Everyone else lives in 12 districts who are cut-off from the Capitol and from one another.
Life in the districts is very oppressive. Hard labor and terrible living/working conditions. If things couldn't be worse, each year each district is required to give up two children, chosen through a lottery and enter them in "The Hunger Games." The 24 children are then left in an enormous area with traps and dangerous hazard to fight for their survival. The last child left alive wins a lifetime of luxury and fame. Everyone watches the live broadcast of the games.  

No comments:

Post a Comment