Monday, February 27, 2012

The Basket Case: Bountiful Baskets 411

I have mentioned how I started a site but haven't really clarified what Bountiful Baskets is exactly.


Bountiful Baskets is a food cooperative.  Bountiful Basket Food Co-op (BBFC) provides produce baskets, organic produce baskets, artisan bread and sandwich bread every other week. If you like eating healthy and also saving money you might want to consider this food co-op. BBFC is entirely volunteer-run. Did I mention it also operates in 19 states? How awesome is that! I think its so refreshing to see so many people active and willing to eat healthy and provide healthy options for their families! I also love that it is so affordable. I'm just a single gal and can afford this basket on a small budget. I try to live on just my basket and a few other items meats and dairy as much as I can. So I'm looking at a grocery bill of under $50 for the MONTH! WOWZA folks - that's a lotta savings - imagine what a family could save.


Not only am I able to save money but I feel so much better because I am eating good, REAL foods. I've currently been on a quest to wean myself off of processed foods until I realized how much I love M&M's and Oreos (and the list could go on!) but I really do try to eat real foods as much as I can and BBFC has helped with that! 


Alrighty - back to BBFC stuff:


What is a food co-op?
Food Co-ops take advantage of the buying power of the group to get better prices on food, typically locally-grown produce or organic food products.
There are no long-term committments.
Try it once and if you think it's not for you - you never have to participate again (but I doubt you'll feel that way!)
How much does it cost?
A conventional basket is $15 for returning participants. The first time you participate there is a one time fee of $3.00 making the total cost $18.00. Each week there are also extra items available such as breads and seasoncal cases of fruits and vegetables. 
An organic basket is also available for a $10 upgrade fee. ($25.00)
What's in a basket?
Produce baskets are 50% fruit and 50% veggies and 100% delicious!
How do I participate?
Follow this link to get step-by-step directions!


The Shawnee site is located at 1414 N Kennedy, Shawnee, OK 74804 inside the Doctor's Building/Gateway to Prevention and Recovery. This location is located off Hwy 177 taking the Kickapoo Spur to North Kennedy. If you have any questions about the BBFC - contact me! Our pick-up is this upcoming Saturday, March 3, 2012 at 11:45am. See ya then!


-Jennifer  

No comments:

Post a Comment